autumn kid friendly main meals quick + easy vegan winter

Spicy Vegetarian Pilaf w/ Cajun Chickpeas

January 22, 2010

Spicy Pilaf with Cajun Chickpeas

This spicy pilaf combines some of my most favourite ingredients into a wonderfully tasty dish. Chilli, rice, chickpeas and orange served up warm and spicy with toasted almonds. I used a store brought Cajun spice mix (cheating I know) but you can mix up your own with whole spices like black pepper, cayenne, onion powder, paprika, chilli, thyme, basil and cloves. The result was still very tasty and flavourful even with the store brought mix. I have also used tined chickpeas so overall this is a very quick and nutritious vegan meal; great for after a busy day.

Spicy Vegetarian Pilaf w/ Cajun Chickpeas

Preparation time: 25mins // Serves 4

Print Friendly
  • 300g (10 oz) of chickpeas (approx. 2 tins), washed and drained
  • 3 tsp Cajun spice mix
  • 1tsp powdered vegetable stock (optional)
  • 1 brown onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, diced
  • 1 red chilli, diced
  • 2 cups of long grain rice
  • 3 juicy oranges
  • 3½ cups vegetable stock
  • ¼ cup sultanas (raisins)
  • 1 cup frozen baby peas
  • ¼ cup of slivered almonds

In a small bowl mix the chickpeas with a little vegetable oil, the Cajun seasoning and vegetable stock powder (if using). Fry the chickpeas in a small fry pan for 3-4 minutes until fragrant; remove from heat and set aside.

Grate the rind from two oranges, and juice all three.

Add a little vegetable oil to a large fry pan or pot; cook the onion, garlic and chilli over a medium heat until soft. Add the rice and orange rind, stir to combine all ingredients.

Add the stock and orange juice and bring to the boil. Turn down to low heat and simmer covered, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until stock has absorbed.

Meanwhile toast the slivered almonds under a medium grill for 2 minutes until golden and toasted. Watch them very carefully because they will burn in no time!!

Add the Cajun chickpeas, sultanas, peas and almonds and toss through rice until well combined.

Served straight away sprinkled with paprika and/or topped with a little natural yoghurt.

{ This recipe was inspired by Super Food Ideas Cajun Chicken Pilaf }

• Reply Fred Carriles January 23, 2010 at 12:30 am

Looks delicious! Can’t wait to make this =)

• Reply Chris January 23, 2010 at 7:09 am

This looks great, you’re awesome.

• Reply Jen January 23, 2010 at 10:01 am

This looks fantastic! I was looking for a dish for this weekend and this is it! Do you know where I would find sultanas? (small town, hard to find things but I am going to the big city soon tomorrow lol)

• Reply Trudy (veggie num num) January 23, 2010 at 11:02 am

Fred and Chris I hope you enjoy the dish; it really is super tasty and easy to make!!

Hi Jen, sultanas are a type of raisin and is the term we use for them in the southern hemisphere; sorry I am still getting use to all these different names for things : ) You should have no trouble finding raisins hopefully in your supermarket or fruit store; with other dried fruits and nuts.

We live in a very small town too so I know how hard it can be sometimes. Have fun making the dish and Enjoy!!!

• Reply BNDQ8 January 29, 2010 at 1:51 am

Nice recipe not a veg person :) but occassionally i dont mind being veg..i like the idea of chickpeas… :)

• Reply Rochelle January 29, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Love the recipes!
    Cant wait to try this one :)

• Reply Rachel June 6, 2011 at 1:40 am

I made this last night – absoultely fantastic! I loved it so much I ate two portions, oops! This is going to be a regular in my house. I cant wait to try more of your recipes :)

• Reply Carmel July 2, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Made this dish tonight and we absolutely LOVED it!!! I substituted currants for the raisins. To tasty and the textures are wonderful.