autumn breakfast kid friendly quick + easy vegan winter

Breakfast Lentils

September 10, 2010

Breakfast Lentils

Mineral-rich, high fiber and low GI, lentils make the perfect breakfast food. Packed with b vitamins and iron and high in cholesterol-lowering fiber, breakfast lentils are a great healthy start to your day and are super hearty so they keep you feeling full right up to lunch time.

This is a very simple and healthy breakfast recipe, made even more effort-less with the use of tinned lentils, you could however substitute these with about 2-3 cups of cooked lentils if you prefer. With the addition of lemon and parsley you have a great quick meal full of all the good things to keep your belly and your body happy and healthy.

Serve over warm multigrain toast for a quick and easy to prepare vegan breakfast; also great with a little vegan cheese or a dollop of natural yoghurt for a vegetarian version.

Breakfast Lentils

Preparation time: 10mins // Serves 2

Print Friendly
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 1 x 390g (14 oz) tinned brown lentils
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 shallots/green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1-2 tsp soy sauce/tamari
  • ½ tsp paprika
  • ½ tsp white pepper
  • 1 lemon
  • 2 tbs fresh parsely, roughly chopped

to serve

• slices of multigrain bread, toasted
  • tahini or your favourite non-dairy spread

In a good sized frypan or skillet heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the garlic and shallots, fry for 1 minute, add the lentils and season with the soy sauce, paprika and white pepper, continue to cook for 3-4 minutes.

Add a good squeeze of lemon juice and stir through the chopped parsely, check the seasoning and add more soy sauce if desired.

Serve hot over warm multigrain toast spread with tahini or a non-dairy spread for a perfectly healthy and filling vegan breakfast.

Breakfast Lentils

10 Comments

• Reply Heather @ Whisk Flip Stir September 10, 2010 at 12:09 pm

What a brilliant idea! I’m always on the hunt for new veggie breakfasts — this is getting in the rotation!

• Reply Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets September 11, 2010 at 4:13 pm

You know, I should remember that breakfasts can be savory more often. Love this hearty start to the day. And of course it sounds delicious too.

• Reply delicieux September 12, 2010 at 11:57 am

I’ve never thought of having lentils for breakfast but this looks SO good and a fantastic way to start the day! I love the addition of lemon too as it gives you a zing to start the day.

I’m so boring when it comes to breakfast, I just stick to vegemite toast *blush* or my boyfriend sometimes makes strawberry pancakes on the weekend.

• Reply Marly September 14, 2010 at 4:34 am

Looks like a great recipe!

• Reply Maria @ Scandifoodie September 14, 2010 at 6:59 pm

This is such a great recipe, thank you for sharing! I love vegetarian recipes, so I’ll definitely visit your blog again :-)

• Reply Trudy (veggie num num) September 15, 2010 at 9:12 am

Hi there everyone so glad your all inspired by this simple dish! It’s perfect for when you feel like something a little different or on those mornings where you wake up extra hungry or are going to have a extra busy day!! Cheers :)

• Reply JL Goes Vegan September 17, 2010 at 3:16 am

What a great idea! I love lentils and I love a heart breakfast. Perfect!

• Reply Kate September 12, 2011 at 9:56 am

YUM! I have just discovered your wonderful site, and am already inspired by the fantastic recipes. I made this breakfast for my (non-vegetarian) husband this morning, and he raved about it! I love the combination of lemon and soy, a great flavour combo to start the day.
    Dal Koftas are up next…

• Reply Karen September 16, 2011 at 5:32 am

I prepared the lentils last night and just toasted the bread and heated it up this morning for breakfast. SO fantastic, and it’s really kept me full all morning. Thank you! :)

• Reply lupindie April 1, 2012 at 2:33 am

This recipe is AMAZING!!! Seriously, I have it for breakfast, I use it to go with stir fries, I could honestly eat it until it comes out of my ears. Good Work!! So good