autumn main meals quick + easy side dish vegan winter

Devilish Potatoes w/ Coconut Rice

May 31, 2011

Devilish Potatoes w/ Coconut Rice

Cam and I adopted the tradition of Sunday night curry a few years back from Tim & Rhi and it’s one of those things that just stuck. Curry is a meal that ticks all the boxes. It’s filling, spicy, warming, delicious and fun to make and something you can cook earlier in the day and then re-heat that night. Curry always tastes better after a few hours and especially the next day!!

This Sunday I thought I’d whip up a dry curry loosely based on Rhi’s SriLankan deviled potatoes and serve them with a fragrant coconut rice. The result is a simple vegetarian curry recipe of devilish potatoes that is easy to prepare and teams wonderfully with the coconut rice for a complete spicy and fragrant meal.

There is something about the combination of ginger, garlic and curry spices that warms the body and the soul. This simple colourful vegetarian devilish potatoes recipe is perfect for a Sunday night dinner or an effortless mid-week meal. Enjoy accompanied with lime pickle and papadums for a complete spicy and delicious veggie dinner!!

Devilish Potatoes w/ Coconut Rice

Coconut Rice

Preparation time: 25mins (+30 minutes refrigeration time) // Serves 4-6

|| note: prepare the devilish potatoes while the rice rests in the fridge ||

[printfreidnly]

• 1½ cups basmati rice
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 10 curry leaves
  • 1 tbs peanut oil
  • good pinch salt flakes

Rinse the rice well and add to a saucepan with the 3 cups of water. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat to low and allow to gently cook for 15-20 minutes with the lid firmly on.

Once the rice is tender and water absorbed transfer to a large bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes until cool.

Dry roast the coconut very quickly in a frying pan over a medium heat. Toss frequently and watch the coconut carefully as it can burn quickly.

Add the curry leaves and toss through, add the cooled rice, peanut oil and salt flakes and toss until the rice is warmed through and fragrant. Serve immediately.

Devilish Potatoes w/ Coconut Rice

Devilish Potatoes

Preparation time: 35mins // Serves 4

• 600g (1lb) potatoes, scrubbed and diced
  • 250g (9oz) carrot, peeled & diced
  • 2 tbs peanut oil
  • ½ tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • ¼ – ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
  • 1 brown onion, thinly sliced into half moons
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
  • 1 green chilli, finely diced
  • 5 curry leaves
  • 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
  • 1 bunch fresh coriander (cilantro), roughly chopped

to serve

• papadums
  • lime pickle or fruit chutney

Boil the diced potatoes and carrot in a large pot with plenty of water for approximately 10 minutes until just tender. Strain and set aside.

Heat the peanut oil in a good heavy based frying pan. Add the mustard seeds and shake the pan over a medium heat until they begin to pop, add the cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper if using and cook over a gentle heat using a wooden spoon to combine them with the oil, being careful not to burn the spices.

Add the onion and cook over a medium heat for a few minutes until soft, add the garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for another minute until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and curry leaves and cook over a gentle heat for 5-10 minutes allowing the flavours to develop and tomatoes soften.

Add the cooked potatoes and carrot and toss cooking over a gentle heat for 10-15 minutes. Just brefore serving toss through the chopped coriander and toss through, serve immediately or the curry can be prepared ahead of time and re-heated before serving.

Serve with the prepared coconut rice, fresh papadums and lime pickle for a complete spicy and delicious vegetarian meal.

Devilish Potatoes w/ Coconut RiceDevilish Potatoes w/ Coconut Rice

21 Comments

• Reply Carolyn Cullen May 31, 2011 at 10:39 am

Can you tell me where you can get curry leaves or if there is a dried spice equivalent? Thanks.

• Reply Trudy ~ Veggie num num May 31, 2011 at 10:55 am

Hi Carolyn, I used dried curry leaves here which should be available in the spice section of any supermarket. Fresh curry leaves are of course better and these are quite often available at Asian grocery stores. If you can’t find either try substituting with a teaspoon or two of a good quality curry powder. Enjoy :)

• Reply Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul May 31, 2011 at 11:45 am

Looks fantastic! I swear, your photos are the very best. They never fail to impress.

• Reply Corina May 31, 2011 at 5:02 pm

This looks gorgeous. I might have to steal your Sunday night curry idea too!

• Reply Beth Cregan May 31, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I love your recipes and your photos- very inspiring! I am going to try this curry on the weekend.

• Reply Nic's Notebook May 31, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Mmmmm this looks fab! Will def be trying – curry dishes are one of my favs :) x

• Reply Charles May 31, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Well now – I’ve learned a new thing today – I wasn’t familiar with curry leaf. Sounds great, although now I just need to find a place to buy it :(

• Reply Kulsum at JourneyKitchen June 1, 2011 at 3:06 am

This is beautiful Trudy. I mean I make curry probably every other day and I think I might have tired a zillion recipes but that’s what I love about your blog – you surprise me each time!

• Reply chinmayie@lovefoodeat June 1, 2011 at 3:15 am

I have to agree with Kulsum! I am an Indian and I have meals like this all the time but these photos really made me drool! lol!
    That’s the capacity of a great recipe and brilliant photography!
    New here and will visit you often :)

• Reply chow vegan June 1, 2011 at 6:06 am

I don’t think I cook curry often enough, because that looks amazing! Especially those potatoes! :-)

• Reply Trudy ~ Veggie num num June 1, 2011 at 11:22 am

Thanks so much Jenne 😀

Corina, Sunday night curry is the perfect way to end a weekend, we love it here at home, thanks for dropping in :)

Thank you Beth!! Enjoy the curry!!

One of my fav’s too NIc, enjoy :)

Hi Charles, dried curry leaves should be available in the spice section of your supermarket and the fresh ones are often available from Asian grocery stores.

Oh gee, thanks so much Kulsum!! I have to say your blog has been inspiring me too with some truly wonderful and unique ideas, thanks for the lovely comment!!!

Thank you Chinmayie, so very happy to hear you like the look of this simple curry!! Just having a quick peek at your blog too and so happy to have met, cheers!!

Thanks chow vegan 😀

• Reply chinmayie@lovefoodeat June 1, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Thanks for visiting my blog Trudy! SO happy to know you like it! I love your blog and you have some awesome recipes!! great to ‘meet’ you too!

• Reply sally June 2, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I think we might have to adopt the Sunday night curry tradition as well! I’ll bookmark this recipe for when we start.

• Reply Jennifer June 3, 2011 at 2:37 am

This looks sooo good, Trudy! What a satisfying meal filled with delicious flavours!

• Reply Anna June 7, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Gorgeous, gorgeous pictures! I love coconut rice, so I think I’d be all over this.

• Reply Addy June 17, 2011 at 12:28 am

I just got back from an extended stay in Sri Lanka and I’ve been seeking recipes like this since my return! Thanks for posting! Those spicy potatoes were a favorite of mine when I was staying there!

• Reply Sneaky Vegan June 30, 2011 at 7:11 am

This looks amazing! Your pictures are truly stunning. Bravissima!!

• Reply Selina July 15, 2011 at 9:39 am

Hi! I found your website today by chance as I clicked through other vegan websites…I’m glad I did, because I made this tonight and it was delicious! :) My three year old and I LOVED the coconut rice; I’ve never made it before and it tastes great with the curry! So thanks!

• Reply Joy July 27, 2011 at 6:04 am

I didn’t have time to make the coconut rice, but gave the potato curry a whirl and was not disappointed. However, I’m not sure my tomatoes had enough depth in flavour, so I added a splodge of tomato sauce to make it a little ‘sweeter’. I served with some homemade raita and mango chutney.

• Reply Dawn August 7, 2011 at 5:36 am

Can you tell me if you used unsweetened or sweetened coconut? I’m sure the sugar would alter the flavor!
    Thanks! =)

• Reply Trudy ~ Veggie num num August 8, 2011 at 8:24 am

Gee thanks for all the lovely comments and wonderful feedback everyone… always great to hear from those who have cooked and enjoyed a recipe 😀

Dawn make sure you use unsweetened shredded coconut for the coconut rice, I have actually never heard of sweetened coconut before.