baking kid friendly lunchbox snacks sweet treats

Nut + Seed Oat Bars w/ Sweet Lemon Coconut Icing

June 3, 2011

Nut + Seed Oat Bars w/ Sweet Lemon Coconut Icing

This simple recipe is reminiscent of the kind of food Mum would bake for us as an after school snack. She would quite often have some tasty little baked goods ready for us when we all piled off the bus and it’s one of the things I remember fondly of those early school years.

These nut and seed oat bars are simple to make and are full to the brim with healthy and tasty ingredients. The best thing is you can switch up the recipe quite easily to include what you have on had in the pantry.

Here I added sunflower seeds a great source of vitamin E and magnesium, pepitas or pumpkin seeds which are a source of zinc and iron, walnuts and linseeds (flax seeds) which are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and molasses a source of iron. So these little oat bars not only taste super good but they’re good for you too!!

A great recipe to prepare with kids, they make a tasty & nutritious addition to your lunch box or as a mid-morning snack with a cup of tea. You could omit the icing for a healthier option and use a dairy butter if you enjoy dairy.

Nut + Seed Oat Bars w/ Sweet Lemon Coconut Icing

Nut + Seed Oat Bars w/ Sweet Lemon Coconut Icing

Preparation time: 25mins // Makes approximately 20 bars

• ½ cup unbleached self raising flour
  • ½ cup unbleached plain flour
  • ½ cup rolled oats
  • ½ cup shredded coconut
  • ¼ cup sunflower seeds
  • ¼ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
  • ½ cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 tbs linseeds (flax seeds)
  • 100g dairy-free or dairy butter
  • 2½ tbs molasses (or treacle or golden syrup)
  • ½ tsp bi-carbonate soda
  • ¼ cup hot water

for the lemony icing

• 1 cup icing sugar
  • ½-1 lemon, juice & zest
  • 1 tsp dairy-free or dairy butter
  • ¼ cup shredded coconut

Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/356°F

Sift the flours into a large bowl, add the oats, coconut, seeds and nuts and stir to combine well.

Combine the bi-carbonate soda with the warm water and stir to dissolve.

Heat the butter and molasses over a low heat in a small saucepan stirring until the butter is melted and combined with the molasses. Remove from the heat and add the bi-carbonate mixture, stir through allowing it to foam.

Combine the molasses and butter mixture with the dry ingredients, stirring well until combined.

Transfer the mixture into a lightly greased 25cm square non-stick baking tray, smoothing it out to cover the base evenly.

Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the baking tray for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cake rack to cool completely.

Meanwhile prepare the icing by combing the sugar, butter and enough lemon juice to bring the sugar together into a runny icing, over a very low heat in a small saucepan. Add enough zest to taste and add the lemon juice a little at a time until you reach the desired consistency.

Drizzle the prepared icing evenly over the cooled bars and sprinkle with coconut before the icing sets.

Once the icing is set cut evenly into bars.

These oaty nut bars should keep well in an air-tight container for 5 days or so. If the weather is overly hot keep them in the fridge to be sure the icing doesn’t melt.

Nut + Seed Oat Bars w/ Sweet Lemon Coconut Icing

• Reply Charles June 3, 2011 at 10:58 am

Aah, after-school treats – they were the best, weren’t they? I’m slowly working my way through some of the things my own mother used to serve us up. Cakes, and little whirly things and cookies and tarts. These look great – I always think lemon makes such a nice icing… really tangy!

• Reply chow vegan June 3, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Great looking treat! So awesome that it’s healthy and nutritious! I would love to have one right now with a nice cold glass of non-dairy milk. :-)

• Reply Jessica June 3, 2011 at 6:20 pm

These look delicious! I’m always hanging out for new not-too-sweet snack recipes :)

• Reply sally June 4, 2011 at 12:24 am

I think I have most of these ingredients in my pantry. I’ll have to give this recipe a try.

• Reply Anja @ AnjasFood4Thought June 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Just my kind of bar. I start salivating by reading the ingrdients list. Will make these today. I might incorporate more natural sweeteners into the bars and think of something to omit the icing sugar on top…… Will let you know the results. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Wahmu June 5, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I’m about to bake these for my two granddaughters,they do look oh so nice.I have to find more uses for all the lemons on our enormous lemon tree. Will let you know how it goes…

• Reply chiara June 6, 2011 at 6:46 am

Thanks for the nice suggestion. I am definetely going to try these bars. Since I stopped eating dairy/fat this receipe seem a very nice healthy alternative :)

• Reply Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets June 7, 2011 at 12:43 am

Love the different seeds in these — great shots too!

• Reply Beth Cregan June 7, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Have just made these bars and used malt extract ( in the liquid form) instead of golden syrup. They smell amazing. Hope I can wait until they cool down!

• Reply Kulsum at JourneyKitchen June 7, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I think coconut is such a underrated element in sweets specially bars. They take a bar like this one to whole new level. Love the chewy, milky bite it adds.For that matter I love all ingredients in this bar and I wish I had one of those right now at work, while I crave something sweet :-)

• Reply elle marie June 8, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I agree that coconut is so under appreciated, I can’t use dairy free unless its soy milk, do you think I can substitute?

• Reply Marnie June 16, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Mmmmmm made these yesterday. Had no walnuts, pepitas or linseeds so just used chopped almonds with the oats and sunflower seeds, added a few chopped dates, and made the icing reeeeaaaallly lemony. So delicious and though the icing is sweet this tastes so healthful. YUM!

• Reply Trudy ~ Veggie num num June 16, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Gee, thanks for all the wonderful feedback everyone!! So glad to hear you all like this simple little treat, I’m craving another piece now myself 😀

• Reply Trudy ~ Veggie num num June 23, 2011 at 8:31 am

Opps sorry elle marie, you could easily substitute the dairy-free butter for a vegetable oil like sunflower or canola instead, hope this helps :)