kid friendly lunchbox main meals party food quick + easy summer vegan

Mexi Vegetarian Burger

July 27, 2011

Mexi Vegetarian Burger

Yep, it’s been busy round here and unfortunately that means I haven’t had much time to play with food which means no new recipes, until now that is! Today I’m bringing it back with a simple and spicy recipe for a super tasty Mexi Vegetarian Burger.

Bringing together all those lovely spicy flavours with beans, avocado and crispy lettuce to create one very tasty mexi vegetarian burger recipe. Red kidney beans spiced up with cumin and paprika, a little heat from jalapeno and Tabasco and the added nutrition and yum of quinoa flakes quickly minced together to form tasty little veggie patties.

Served with fresh lettuce, tomato, thick slices of avocado and a habanero sauce these burgers are sure to please both veggies and meat eaters. If you enjoy dairy try adding sour cream or of course your favourite dairy or non-dairy cheese.

I’m thinking these mexi vegetarian burger patties would work just as well wrapped up in a soft tortilla, yum! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did, the perfect veggie burger for lazy Sundays; the recipe could easily be doubled for a large group or family. Om num num num….

Mexi Vegetarian Burger

Mexi Vegetarian Burger Patties

Preparation time: 25mins // Serves 4

Print Friendly
  • 1½ tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • ¾ cup quinoa flakes
  • 1 x 400g tin of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 jalapeno (optional to taste)
  • handful of fresh coriander
  • dash or two of Tabasco sauce

In a fry pan dry roast the cumin and paprika with the quinoa flakes over a low to medium heat for just a few minutes until the spices become fragrant and the quinoa flakes begin to very lightly golden, set aside.

In a food processor combine the kidney beans with the jalapeno and fresh coriander, whiz to combine adding the quinoa and spice mixture gradually until it comes together to form a nice soft mince, season with salt flakes and Tabasco to taste.

Using your hands pressing the mixture together form the mince into four good-sized patties, set aside.

Heat a small about of rice bran or vegetable oil in a grill pan or using a BBQ grill cook the patties over a medium heat for a few minutes on each side until golden and cooked through, set aside.

Mexi Vegetarian Burger

Mexi Burgers

• Mexi Burger patties
  • 4 larger burger buns, lightly toasted
  • 2 avocados, thickly sliced
  • ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
  • crispy lettuce leaves
  • habanero or your choice of spicy chilli sauce or mild salsa
  • sour cream and dairy or non-dairy cheese (optional)

Top the bottom bun with lettuce leaves, mexi burger, chilli sauce or mild salsa, avocado, tomato, red onion and cheese or sour cream if using.

A super tasty and quick to prepare vegetarian burger, enjoy!!

18 Comments

• Reply Jennifer July 27, 2011 at 11:05 am

This burger looks truly superb, Trudy! Yum!!!

• Reply Sarah July 27, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I’m saving this recipe for sure!

• Reply Heidi @ Food Doodles July 28, 2011 at 4:38 am

Yummy! I love that you used quinoa flakes – I’ve never tried those before but I’d love to. All the flavors in your burger sound delicious :)

• Reply Jennifer (Delicieux) July 28, 2011 at 6:38 am

Your mexi burgers look so scrummy! Reminds me I haven’t had a burger in such a long time.

• Reply sally July 28, 2011 at 6:45 am

Veggie burgers can be so bland sometimes, but I love the idea of Mexican flavored burgers.

• Reply Elise July 29, 2011 at 4:25 am

Mmm…I had a mexican style burger for my lunch, but I ashamed to say it was a bought one. Yours looks amazing.

• Reply Anita Menon July 29, 2011 at 7:19 pm

What a hearty burger! You have become my go – to for all vegetarian recipes. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply chow vegan July 30, 2011 at 2:21 am

Good-looking burger you got there, love the spicy flavors! I never even knew there was such a thing as quinoa flakes. I’ll have to look for them. Thanks! :-)

• Reply pb July 30, 2011 at 11:49 pm

This looks really really yummy!!!
    I was hooked the moment I saw the avocados.

• Reply Tina W August 2, 2011 at 4:27 am

Are quinoa flakes different than just plain quinoa? Thanks!

• Reply Trudy ~ Veggie num num August 2, 2011 at 11:42 am

Thanks for the great feedback and comments everyone 😀

Quinoa flakes are different in texture to plain quinoa and are somewhat similar to oats but finer and smaller. You shouldn’t have any trouble purchasing them, look in either the health/whole foods section of your supermarket near other grains and flour or simply in the cereal section near whole oats. They are a really handy ingredient great added to sweet and savory dished and even make a quick and healthy breakfast.

• Reply Sarah-Louise August 3, 2011 at 9:43 am

This was yummy! I did alter it a bit and used normal quinoa (it was in the cupboard) and I cooked it up with mexican chill powered and vegie stock for extra flavour before adding it to the cummin and paprika.

• Reply Jennifer August 12, 2011 at 9:44 am

I just made these, Trudy! LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Thank you!!

• Reply Deborah August 15, 2011 at 6:53 pm

As an American, married to an Australian, living in Brissy, I miss my Mexican food. :) I am keen to try your recipe and make these Mexi-burgers for my handsome hubby.

I took a minute to read your About Page…Tambourine Mountain is beautiful! I spent a weekend up there a couple years ago for a ladies’ retreat with my church. I’m hoping to go up again this October.

I hope you pop over sometime and take a moment to read my About Page.

Cheers,
    Deborah
    Homemaker Honey
    homemakerhoney.com

• Reply Coco August 26, 2011 at 7:04 am

These look great! I love avocado in burgers. You are right, they would be great in a wrap too.

• Reply josephine September 9, 2011 at 11:22 pm

9am and dying for one of these, they look so delish, added to my ‘must make soon’ list 😉

• Reply Jules November 3, 2011 at 6:23 am

Oh! Sounds ace. Thanks for sharing

• Reply SS March 6, 2012 at 7:33 am

Hi! Do I need to cook the quinoa first or use it raw? Thanks!