Recently Cam and I visited a great little Vietnamese restaurant and order two massive veggie noodles bowl dishes. As we ate our way through the huge and tasty bowl of grilled vegetable, crispy puff tofu, fresh salad and noodles we dissected each bite with the hopes of recreating a similar dish at home. With bellies full and happy and a long list of ingredients we decided this bowl of deliciousness was something we had to master in our very own kitchen.
So over the weekend we took another trip to our favourite Asian supermarket picked up a few supplies and then cooked up a little kitchen storm and am happy to say a very tasty Vietnamese inspired vegetarian noodle dish. I love these kinds of vegetarian meals; full to the brim with healthy and delicious ingredients they are both good to eat and good for you.
All the ingredients should be easy to come by. Try an Asian supermarket for the fried tofu puff (in the cold section) and why not experiment adding any of your favourite vegetables or salad ingredients. With silky rice noodles, layers of fresh salad and topped with spicy grilled veg and tofu this veggie noodle bowl recipe is perfect for when you feel like something super tasty and healthy too!!
Spicy Grilled Vegetables
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), cut into pieces
- 1 small brown onion, cut into wedges
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 155g (5 oz) green beans, sliced
- 2 small bunches of Bok Choy, sliced (reserving leafy tops)
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 tbs peanut oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbs kecap mains (Indonesian soy sauce)
- 2 tsp sambal oelek (to taste/optional)
Heat the peanut and sesame oil in a large wok or frying pan over a medium heat.
When hot add the vegetables (reserving the bok choy leafy tops) and toss over heat allowing to fry quickly.
Add the kecap manis and sambal oelek, tossing through the cooking veg for about 4 minutes until onion is soft. Add the bok choy leafy tops and toss through quickly before removing from the heat. Set aside and keep warm.
Grilled Veggie Noodle Bowl
Preparation time: 40mins // Serves 4
- 350g (12 oz) vermicelli (rice stick) noodles
- 200g (7 oz) fried tofu puff (or firm tofu diced)
- ¼ red cabbage, sliced thinly
- ½ telegraphy cucumber, sliced
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 100g (3.5 oz) bean sprouts
- 1 small bunch coriander (cilantro), roughly chopped
- grilled vegetables as prepared above
- ¼ cup raw peanuts, crushed
- 1-2 chillies, sliced (optional)
- ½ cup sweet chilli sauce
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs mirin (or white vinegar)
Cook the noodles to the packet instructions, set aside.
Fry the tofu in a little peanut oil over a medium heat until heated through and golden, set aside.
To make the dressing whisk all the ingredients together quickly until well combined.
To assemble your noodle bowl divide the noodles between four large deep bowls. Top with the salad ingredients, fried tofu puffs and grilled vegetables, finish with a scattering of crushed peanuts and sliced fresh chilli.
Serve the noodle bowl straight away either already dressed or with the dressing on the side. Eat messily and happily; the perfect vegetarian recipe for a tasty Asian inspired meal!!