It’s November and that means the warm hazy summer weather is just round the corner. Days spent lazing at the beach, relaxing by the creek, picnicking in the country or dining alfresco; summer can be a wonderful time of year.
With the lovely warm sunshine weather on the way I couldn’t help create a fresh and crunchy salad to celebrate! Carrots and their brilliant orange colour are an obvious choice for a simple healthy salad recipe full of crunch and flavour. I teamed this carrot salad with a little fennel and added fresh grapes and slivered almonds for super extra yumminess. This is a very simple vegetarian carrot salad recipe perfect as a side salad or served up in little buns for a delicious and light summer lunch.
The carrot salad can easily be made ahead making it perfect for picnics; simply pack a few fresh rolls, some salad greens and maybe an avocado or two and you’ll have yourself one delicious little sandwich full of goodness and the tastes of summer… enjoy!!
Fennel + Carrot Salad w/ Grapes & Almonds
Preparation time: 10mins // Serves 4 (as a side)
- 4 medium sized carrots (approx. 300g/10.5oz), peeled & coarsely grated
- ½ small fennel bulb (approx. 80g/3oz), grated
- small bunch of grapes (approx.. 170g/6oz), sliced in half
- ½ cup slivered almonds, dry roasted
for the dressing
- ¼ cup natural set dairy yoghurt or vegan mayonaise
- ½ tbs double strength apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs olive oil
- ¼ tsp good quality curry powder
- sprinkle of sumac (optional)
Toss the grated carrot, fennel, grapes and almonds together in a large bowl.
To make the dressing whisk all the ingredients together, except the sumac, to form a smooth dressing.
Pour the prepared dressing over the salad and toss well to combine. Transfer the salad to a serving bowl and sprinkle with a little sumac and garnish with fennel leaves if desired.
A lovely healthy summer salad perfect as a crisp and crunchy side or serve as below in little buns for a delicious light lunch.
Fennel + Carrot Salad Rolls
Preparation time: 5mins // Serves 4
- Fennel + Carrot Salad prepared as above
- 4 small seed buns (I used cape seed rolls)
- small bunch of baby salad rocket (arugula)
- 1 or 2 avocados, sliced
Slice your buns in half, top with rocket leaves, slices of avocado and a good pile of carrot and fennel salad.
Of course add your favourite sandwich fillings if you like; feta cheese and/or pickled beetroot would be lovely too!!