In between all the rain and storms we’ve been blessed with some lovely late summer weather lately. Warm sunny days spent at the beach or simply hanging on our deck, we’ve been soaking up all February has to offer.
It’s no wonder I decided to create another summery dish to enjoy while lazing in the sun. Inspired by these tacos I spied over on Chow Vegan and adapted from this fish taco recipe; I’m a little stoked with just how delicious these tofu tacos turned out!
Anything you can eat with your hands is always good especially when it’s full of spicy tofu, zesty salsa and a crispy salad. This vegan or vegetarian tofu taco recipe is a little veggie take on the classic taco and I hope you’ll all enjoy it.
Everything can be prepared ahead of time simply fry up the tofu and heat the tortillas before serving, perfect for entertaining.
Spicy Tofu Tacos w/ Tropical Salsa, Tangy Sauce + Crunchy Greens
Preparation time: 40mins // Serves 2-4 as a light meal
|| Note: There is lots of coriander (cilantro) in this dish so if you’re not a fan try mint or parsley & a little oregano instead. ||
- 375g firm pressed organic tofu
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 limes, juice (approx. ¼ cup)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ½ – 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional/to taste)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp paprika
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- pinch salt flakes
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 2 cups fresh roughly chopped coriander
Slice the tofu into strips and place in a shallow bowl.
Combine all the remaining ingredients in a small jug and then pour over the tofu. Toss to coat and marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to a couple of hours.
Cook the tofu over a medium/high heat in a grill pan or on the barbeque, brushing with the marinade to stop it from sticking and drying out. Cook until golden on both sides and transfer to a serving dish.
Drizzle over a little of the left over marinade and garnish with fresh coriander and sliced chilli if you wish.
Quick Tropical Salsa
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs shredded coconut
- handful of chopped fresh coriander
- tobacco sauce or fresh chilli to taste
- splash of pineapple juice or pinch of raw sugar
- salt flakes & freshly cracked pepper
Deseed and dice the tomatoes finely.
Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl tossing to combine well. Can be kept covered in the fridge for an hour or so until you are ready to serve.
- 2 tbs soy or natural set yoghurt
- 2 tbs egg-free or Japanese mayonnaise
- 1-2 tsp chilli sauce or for a milder version tomato paste or I used tomato relish
- dash of lime juice
- salt & pepper
Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth and well combined. Keep covered in the fridge until serving.
- ¼ white cabbage, finely shredded (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ½ cup snow pea sprouts, diced
- 1 tsp grated red onion (I use a zester to very finely grate/mince the onion)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- squeeze of lime
- pinch or two of paprika
Toss all ingredients together. Best made just before serving but can be kept covered in the fridge also.
- 8-10 small tortillas
- spicy tofu, salsa, sauce and greens as prepared above
Heat the tortillas either on the grill plate or in a low oven.
Allow everyone to fill their own tortilla with the ingredients as they like and serve drizzled with the tangy sauce.
Fold up and devour happily. A delicious vegetarian recipe best served with sunshine & friends :)